Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mealsharing.com

Earlier in the week Susan Benevich heard a story on NPR about a new website that focuses on building community through bringing strangers together over home cooked meals. She posted a link on my FB and suggested I look into it. I immediately looked into it and loved the concept.  Within minutes I was signed up and filling out my profile. I searched for a profile in denver and Aaron popped up who sounded like a good fit. The first step was to sending him a Meal Share Request and I suggested Friday. The following day I get a call from an unknown number. Turns out it's Robyn, Aaron's wife calling to confirm our meal. She is out going and excited and asks all sorts of questions about my diet and my likes and dislikes and we set the dinner for Friday @ 6pm. It turns out their house is an easy bike ride from where I stay at Rori's.
          Aaron, Sofie, Sage, & Robyn 

I arrived slightly early, right as Aaron was returning from work. Introductions were made and last minute meal preparations were finalized. The raw vegan meal was moved to the outdoor table and after a few Jewish prayers that initiate the sabbath, we proceeded with a lovely meal peppered with delightful conversation.  
Celery/corn curry salad & a 3 beet salad

Robyn slightly altered a Cafe Gratitude recipe for the raw burger patties!

       Dehydrated red pepper crackers

  The raw desert platter was outstanding 

Like Susan, Aaron heard the same story on NPR and immediately signed up just this week.  He was sorta surprised to get contacted so rapidly. 

Raw treats, tea, & gluten free double chocolate zucchini muffins. Top notch!

      Sage was fired up about dessert. 

I felt right at home. I learned a bit about Jewish traditions. They'd recently moved to Denver from Encinitas so we talked about life in San Diego county. A graceful chicken hawk made an appearance. It was 100% an pleasant experience. Thanks Susan for initiating me and thanks to Aaron & Susan for invitingly me into their home for a marvelous meal.

http://www.mealsharing.com

     Caught a good sunset in Wash park

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Looks like Aaron and Robyn went all out for you! I can't wait to host something here in San Diego. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a raw vegan meal, so my first attempt may be getting a chance to share my dad's famous spaghetti and meatballs -- a recipe that took some time getting out of him, truth be told. Now, that I'm perfecting it (my dad doesn't do 'amounts' but instead 'adds a bit of this and a bit of that'), I look forward to sharing with others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, that is a rad idea! What a great experience with some cool people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you do things like this and share. I totally am in to this! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope you sign up... the site needs more sharers....
      i hope you get a LITTLE FREE LIBRARY for your front yard too !...
      i miss you...

      Delete