Friday, April 22, 2011

the open road.....

     I said that I would elaborate on Ken's story in this next post.... Now that I dwell on it, I realize how appropriate it is to start with KEN. Ken is the man who currently owns the 1987 Vanagon in which I drove around the country in 1999 during the FOUR CORNERS tour. He is a master carpenter and has helped me on numerous projects around the house and more recently, helped build out my current van. Ken and I have a connection that I'm really lucky to have made. He's a free spirit and a dreamer. Our values are in line and his easy going nature is refreshing to be around. Earlier in his life he traveled the world and also spent some time living with his family in a van.... So he had invaluable information and insight into what would work well with the design and layout. I am proud to call Ken my friend and I look forward to when I will see him next.... Who knows when that will be....

     During Ken's rummaging through the FREE BOX he found a jar of flax seeds and a bottle of tea tree oil. I trust he'll put both to good use.

Saturday April 16th 2011   8:10am  Departing Edgemont

It was an early morning.... I was up at 3am doing my final packing, cleaning and loading. Justin said his good byes on his way out to TAI CHI and just a little after 8am I was backing out the van and headed to the open road. That road specifically was Hwy 94 to I-8, EAST BOUND AND DOWN. 

Life's Short, Play NAKED!

First stop was the De Anza Naturist Resort 73 miles outside of San Diego in the desert. I'd heard about it for years, but had never seen this sign from the interstate. Kay was lovely and gave me a tour of the facilities that included two saltwater swimming pools - one indoor and one outdoor. I toyed with the idea of staying there for a day, but the costs outweighed the benefits. I was anxious for Five Palms and Holtville...

Holtville was only another 55minutes down the freeway and the first person I met was Moonlight!
Moonlight with the FREE BOX at Holtville Hot Springs!
 Moonlight was a breath of fresh air. I introduced myself to her in the parking lot. She was delighted to take a look through the FREE BOX and was tickled to find packets of EMERGEN-C and a roll of DUCT tape. We hung out most of the morning in the springs. She tipped me off about using frozen water bottles instead of ice in the cooler. She and her dog have been living the VAN LIFE for 4 years now.  More with Moonlight in the next post....

Currently in TUCSON - heading to Patagonia, AZ soon....




No comments:

Post a Comment